Thursday, February 3, 2011

Creating Executable Binary Code

Our next mission was to take the Freeciv source code and convert it to executable binary code. As with most things this semester, The process of turning source code into executable binary code can be extremely complicated and frustrating, but luckily i'm always for a challenge. I learned there are 5 main steps to building a project:
1.Compiling the code 
2.Linking object files and libraries 
3.Determining Build Dependencies
4.Testing the Build Results 
5. Packaging and Deploying

Also thanks Build automation tools, we don't have to do all these things by hand. I also learned many things that can help me with building the openMRS project.  For instance I was having trouble building openMRS so this quote stood out to me... "As you proceed through the build process, you may see many of the same errors; you may see completely different errors. No matter what happens, keep calm and carry on. Read the instructions. Don't expect to understand every word. Read logs carefully and thoughtfully. Google is your friend. Ask for help."


One of the first step was to install the gcc compiler since FreeCiv is written in C and had be done in Linux or UNIX.  Next gmake had to be installed. Installing gmake taught me a very important lesson of always, always read the instructions. This will probably be the most important thing I have ever learned because the building process can be overwhelming for anyone. After finally gathering and installing all of the prerequisites it was time to configure the project. Unfortunately  me and ubuntu/virtualbox have not quite come together just yet so I was not able to successfully configure the project, however I'm still attempting to configure the project and will update when possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment