Thursday, February 10, 2011

Solving a bug

"A software bug is the common term used to describe an error, flaw, mistake, failure, or fault in a computer program or system that produces an incorrect or unexpected result, or causes it to behave in unintended ways." 
Keeping this in mind, my team and I set out to find a bug that would be simple for us to attempt to fix. Our project has been open for about 7 years so we had tons of bugs to dive into. One "bug" I found was for Timezone Support, but going with the definition above  I wouldn't actually consider this a bug however as it seems more like a feature that should be added but it seems like it would be easily implemented by my team since both mysql and Java have way to deal with timezones. Unfortunately this is not really a bug so my search continued. Bobby was able to find an interesting bug, where we would need to implement some sort of code to make users select a preferred identifier. There is also is TRUNK-222 in the introductory tickets, where if a patient only has 3 letters in their name you can search for them without knowing his family or middle name, which may or may not be simple for us to fix I have not actually looked at the code so it would be hard to judge. When I tried this bug myself, it seems to have been fixed with the newest version but this is not documented.

No comments:

Post a Comment